Monday, July 21, 2014

Asam Laksa (or Laksa Penang)

I've been craving this for quite a while. It's got a GREAT blend of sour and spicy. And it's noodle soup, and gets my weekly fish requirement in. So, yesterday, with a bit of tweaking the ingredients I couldn't find, I managed to make Laksa.

It was delish, probably not sour enough, but it works for a first go! I really liked the fish, and most of the work of making this is in the work of chopping all the ingredients. The great thing was I had fish to simmer while I chopped. It's a very easy soup to make. The crucial ingredient is the tamarind (I used paste) and the mint. I gave up trying to find the Vietnamese mint, and just used our mint. It worked great. Really doesn't work in the crockpot as it takes too long to heat the fish broth that way, but if you needed to not have a fire going, it's a good way to make broth all day.

To serve, you just put all the garnishes on the table, with the noodles and fish broth, and everyone puts what they want in the soup.

Poor #1 Son didn't realize just what I meant when I told him the sambal was HOT. He put a good 2 Tbsp on top of his soup, then stirred it all in.  Poor thing couldn't handle eating it. Ahh, well, next time.

So, here's to a nice easy tangy soup! And I made it myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment