Monday, July 7, 2014

Clothes

If you look over to the left, you'll see the About Me block. Yup, that's my husband and I at a formal event for his work a few years back. As you can tell I'm not very skinny. This is unfortunate for many reasons, and I'm working on it, but the biggest reason is I love clothes. And so many lovely things just look silly on me, unless I'm careful (ok, it might be possible to argue that everything looks silly, but we won't go there). When I was in Egypt last summer, I noted that the ladies wear some lovely shirts. I even bought a couple. They of course don't fit, but thankfully I know my way around a sewing machine well enough to make it work, and I wear them frequently now.

Egyptian women mostly dress "western" but they have these lovely shirts that remind me of a Salwar Kameez from India or even the top of a baju kurung from Malaysia. Long simple shirts, with lots of embroidery, like this:




Mine don't have quite so much embroidery, but they're lovely too.

I have a few variations on Malaysian clothes, Baju Kurung, Baju Kedah. I even have a Baju Kebaya, but I can't fit it now. So, this evening I was goofing off looking around on Pinterest and saw this lovely tunic
Red flowers cotton tunic
Yup, practically a floral Egyptian shirt, with buttons. I'm now feeling an extreme need to go play in my stash and see if I can't make some for myself.... If I do, I'll post a picture, maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment