Thursday, July 10, 2014

Food

I am pregnant with my 5th kid. This isn't common knowledge yet, but since no one actually reads this blog, I guess it doesn't much matter.

I find myself, in this pregnancy, obsessing about food, specifically Malaysian food. I am always hungry, and sweets make me nauseous (tragedy! I know!). My husband baked scones for breakfast the other day. I managed a bite, it tasted like cardboard. I tried to have a Starbucks drink last week. It took me three (THREE!) hours to drink a grande. And I was not happy with it, too sweet.

However, spicy, sour, tangy, salty, OH MAN HOW I LOVE THEE! I just can't get enough. In fact just typing this I'm dreaming about salty olives, feta cheese, sunny side up eggs and HOT sauce.

This is a good thing for me, cause the foods I love the most come from countries that excel in those taste combinations. Next week we're having Asam Laksa for dinner. I had it a week and a half ago at my favorite Vegas restaurant (Island Malaysian Cuisine), and I've been dreaming about it ever since. I'm even thinking about driving around town in the heat to go shopping for proper laksa noodles, rather than faking it with similar ones (but I won't, I hate this heat here). But not to be exclusive to Malaysia (although the temptation is strong), I also have Korean Japchae on the menu, and two cans of Foul ready to cook up for lunch with some cheese. And we made Doro Wett and Dhall the other night for dinner.

The beauty of the diversity in this world is I can eat what I love, and Never Ever eat a Jello salad again. There are so many lovely things to eat out there, why waste time on hot dish?

Although, I'm thinking about putting lasagne on the menu for the week after next... won't be very traditional, I like it with kale in it, but Hey, Lasagne is all about the cheese anyway right?

1 comment: