Saturday, July 19, 2014

Masala Life

First off - appologies to the internet for not posting daily. Most days I get easily sidetracked and I forget to post. If anyone actually read this, and I got comments, I might remember better.

Masala - What's that? Some Indian spice right? Yes, and no. Masala is a mixture of spices, but it's also used to define a mixture of anything else, referencing spicy mixtures. It's not a Malay word, but remember, This blog may say Malaysian on the inside but it's a Masala blog, cause I'm a Masala Lady. I'm not sure I'd say Garam Masala (hot, spicy mix), but definitely all mixed up!

So, Masala life. We currently live in Vegas. It's been over 100 degrees for a month, I'm from Alaska, I like it in the 50's and 60's. So, I hide in summer. But, kids and husband gotta eat. And they aren't happy with yogurt and fruit for dinner (what is their problem). Husband wants meat, and lots of it. He wants cooked food (I can get away with gaspacho like once a month, and God forbid I try and have salad for dinner!). But, cooking in Vegas in the summer is a misery. So, this summer I've been trying to really utilize my slow cookers. But I'm craving Malaysian and Indian food and really can't bring myself to get in the car, or spend the money (gas costs too!). So I've been limping along with what I think of as bland food, crockpot lasagne, chile, stew....

Today I'm menu planning - YAY! I love reading recipes.



But yesterday I shared a bunch of curry recipes with some friends who asked for them. So, today I'm wishing I could eat curry, but I don't want to slave over the hot stove anymore than heat the house with an oven.

Here's where I am. I read a FANTASTIC recipe for beef stew over at A Year of Slow Cooking, but I desperately want Penang Laksa for dinner (still - didn't manage to get all the ingredients I need together...). 

Here's where the Masala comes in. Two weeks ago I made Doro Wett in my crockpot (it was divine). I'm now trying to visualize how I'd make Crockpot Laksa.... Wish me luck... Oh and next? Going to try and make curry puffs in the crockpot (I learned how to make baked potatoes and coffee cake in there, so I ought to be able to figure out curry puffs!). Here's the Laksa recipe I'm going to try and modify. I doubt I can find ginger flowers with out a bunch of work, will have to skip those, and I know I can't find Daun Kesum, will just have to use regular mint. But it's the tamarind that makes this dish, and I have lots!

No comments:

Post a Comment